Idaho Official Government Website

Licenses, Permits and Registrations

Occupational Licenses: Information on industry-specific and occupation-specific licenses and permits is found in the Business Wizard. After answering a few questions, you will receive a customized checklist of agencies to contact with links to their websites.

Business Registration: All businesses except sole proprietors who use their full name as the business name need to register a name and entity type with the Idaho Secretary of State’s office before conducting business. For information about the entity types recognized in Idaho, see Legal Structure. Idaho does not have a state business license. Registering your business is a registration, not a license.

Sales Tax Permit, Withholding, Unemployment Insurance and Lodging Tax Accounts: If your business sells a product, has employees, or is engaged in the lodging industry, you will need to complete form IBRS. Doing so registers your business for a sales and use tax permit, establishes state withholding and unemployment insurance tax accounts, lodging tax accounts and more.

In addition to the sale of products, sales tax is charged on some activities, such as golf and bowling, and on admission fees to special events. If your business rents items such as construction equipment, tents, tables or chairs, sales tax is also charged.

Local Option Sales and Lodging Taxes: Some resort communities collect a local sales tax in addition to the state sales tax. Others collect both a local sales tax and a local lodging tax. Check with your city clerk’s office for information.

City and County Business Licenses:  Your business may be subject to city and/or county regulations specific to your location. Contact your local City Clerk or County Clerk or Recorder’s office to find out if you need a local business license or other local permits.

Alcoholic Beverage Licensing: See the Assistance Resources section of this site.

Professional Licensing Boards:

We do our best to keep this site current when the federal government, Idaho legislature, cities, and counties add or change licensing requirements. However, we make no guarantee that the licensing requirements shown on this site are complete.

If your business activity, profession, product, or service is not listed in the Business Wizard, you can verify whether your business is subject to special licensing or taxing requirements by contacting your city or county clerk’s office, your attorney, or your CPA. If you have exhausted these resources and still haven’t found the information you need, you may also Contact Us to research your licensing requirements. Only business activities requiring additional industry-specific or occupation-specific licenses or permits or those subject to special taxes are listed in the Business Wizard.

If you know of a licensing requirement that is not listed or one that needs to be updated, please contact us.

The owner of this website has made a commitment to accessibility and inclusion, please report any problems that you encounter using the contact form on this website. This site uses the WP ADA Compliance Check plugin to enhance accessibility.