Skip to content

Health Insurance

Health Insurance

 Companies having 50 or more employees are required by law to provide health insurance under the Employer Shared Responsibility provisions of the Affordable Care Act. To find a list of companies approved to sell health insurance plans to Idaho businesses and individuals, see Idaho Department of Insurance.

Dependent Children: If you have employees who pay court-ordered child support, you may be required to enroll their dependent children in your company’s health insurance program. For information, visit the Employer Issues section of this website and look for “Child Support Payroll Deductions.”

Chamber of Commerce Members: If you own a small or mid-sized business and are a member of a Treasure Valley-area chamber of commerce, you may be able to enroll in a group health plan, Chamber Blue, created in cooperation with Blue Cross of Idaho and Regence BlueShield.

National Standard Insurance Reporting Number: If your business offers employee health insurance, you need a National Standard Employer Identification number for electronic claims reporting.

Disability Insurance

Idaho, unlike some states, does not offer a state-mandated disability insurance program other than the coverage offered by Worker’s Compensation and your company’s health insurance plan. Both short and long term disability insurance can be purchased from an insurance company. Short term covers the early stages of a disability and is appropriate for someone who is expected to make a full recovery. Long term disability insurance generally covers up to 5 years or until the person qualifies for either Medicare or Social Security disability payments. Disability insurance can be obtained from most insurance companies that offer health insurance.

ver: 2.1.0 | last updated: