Idaho Official Government Website

Employer Identification Number (EIN)

Internal Revenue Service

Employer Identification Numbers (EIN): Needed by businesses with employees and those making retail sales or doing business with corporations and government agencies. Most banks require an EIN to open a business account. A number can be obtained by mail, phone, or fax. The process is quick and cost-free.

Changes: Businesses having an EIN must notify the IRS when changes in address, location or responsible party occur by filing form 8822-B. If the business entity type or ownership changes, a new EIN will be needed.

Lost or Misplaced Number: If you have an EIN number but cannot find it, see Lost or Misplaced Your EIN?

Closing an EIN Account: An EIN cannot be cancelled, but it can be closed. The EIN will still belong to the business entity and can be used at a later date, should the need arise. To close your business account, send the IRS a letter that includes the complete legal name of the entity, the EIN, the business address and the reason you wish to close your account. If you have a copy of the EIN Assignment Notice that was issued when your EIN was assigned, include that when you write. To reinstate a closed account, contact the IRS for direction.

The owner of this website has made a commitment to accessibility and inclusion, please report any problems that you encounter using the contact form on this website. This site uses the WP ADA Compliance Check plugin to enhance accessibility.