Idaho Official Government Website

Motor Vehicles/Trucks/Aviation/Boats/Trailers

Idaho Transportation Department

The Department serves Idaho drivers, auto and recreational vehicle dealers, truckers, pilots and boat dealers and owners. All vehicles operated or pulled on public highways must be titled. This includes:

  • Cars and trucks
  • Motorcycles
  • Travel trailers, transport trailers and boat or utility trailers that have an unladen weight of 2,000 pounds or more. Office and concessions trailers are excluded.
  • Slide-in truck campers (5th wheels) and truck campers purchased after 2009
  • All-terrain vehicles (ATV), utility type vehicles (UTV), off-road motorcycles and snowmobiles with engines of 50cc or larger. Vehicles with smaller engines are licensed by Idaho Parks and Recreation.
  • Manufactured homes that have not been formally declared real property
  • Most boats manufactured after 2000 with a permanently attached mode of propulsion such as inboard/outboard motors
  • Personal water crafts, sailboats and outboard motorboats over 12 feet in length purchased in 2000 or later. Similar vessels manufactured or acquired prior to 2000 must be titled if they are being financed.
  • Driver and Motor Carrier Services
  • Commercial trucking
  • Starting a Trucking Business in Idaho
  • Automobile and Boat (Vessel) Dealerships – New and Used
  • Aviation ServicesDivision of Aeronautics
  • Boats (Vessels) – titling