Idaho Official Government Website

Business Name or Entity Change

Idaho Secretary of State

Businesses planning to change registered information, including the entity type, name, address, email, ownership or registered agent, must notify the Idaho Secretary of State’s office. For information, visit the Legal Structure section of this website. Corporations and LLCs must keep both their address and email address updated or risk having the business administratively dissolved when the annual report form is returned by the Post Office or not received via email.

Internal Revenue Service

The IRS collects taxes owed to the federal government, including personal, corporate and business income taxes, federal withholding and Social Security and Medicare taxes. When a business name or entity type changes, tax reports may not be properly attributed to the business. When a business entity type changes (such as from an LLC to a corporation), the tax reporting date and reporting forms may change. If the entity type is changed, a new Employer Identification Number (EIN) may be required. See the IRS website for information on how to notify them of entity or name changes and how to apply for a new EIN if needed. Also see Changing or Cancelling Registered Information on the Legal Structure page of this website for details.

Business Name Change

EIN: Businesses having an EIN must notify the IRS when the business address, location or responsible party changes by filing form 8822-B.

Idaho State Tax Commission

Oversees the collection of income, sales, withholding, lodging, and other state taxes. When a business changes its entity type, the reporting date and forms used may change. When changing the business name or entity type, contact the Tax Commission to be certain tax payments are correctly attributed to the business.

Idaho Department of Labor

If you have an unemployment account and change the name or entity type of your business, contact DOL to be certain payments and reports are correctly attributed to your business.

City Clerk’s Offices

City clerk’s offices manage business activities occurring within city limits. When a business changes its name, existing licenses and/or permits will need to be amended. If the name changes because the business is sold, a new license may be required. To find contact information for your local city clerk’s office, see City Clerk. If you secured permits from your county clerk’s office, those will need to be updated as well.

The owner of this website has made a commitment to accessibility and inclusion, please report any problems that you encounter using the contact form on this website. This site uses the WP ADA Compliance Check plugin to enhance accessibility.